Monday, January 3, 2011

Judging a book by it's cover


The holidays provided me window between schools to do a little up-keep. After a few smeared failed attempts, I decided to just hand-paint the Wake County journal using a red gesso and dry-brush technique in black to show its texture. I then protected it with Matt Modge Podge for all the little hands that will handle it in the coming months.

I also included a few pages to recruit written responses such as the following:
  • A title page noting the artists and where they are from
  • Finish this story...
  • What is your favorite thing to do in Wake County?
So far, there hasn't been a lot of layering because I believe folks don't want to mess up what has come before. So, as guardian, I'm going to try to add layers each time it is returned to create a sense of unity. I'm neglecting my own journal a bit but having much more fun.

Wake County still has open slots in the spring and summer. E-mail me at n2art@hotmail.com if you would like to participate! Happy New Year! Michelle H. Harrell

No comments:

Post a Comment