Sunday, October 31, 2010

An Idea for the Journals

Hi all, I'm J.Ro (Jennifer Robinson), the guardian for Yancey County's book. Just thought I'd share an idea that I'm working on. I'm putting together a journaling bag to go with the journal - inside will be colored pencils, a tray of watercolor paint, watercolor pencils, some glue sticks, skinny black pens, an old phone book, maps, flyers from our county, newspapers - anything that could be used as background papers.

My county is small but diverse in interests - I hope to get all walks of life in the journal, artists, farmers, local businesses, and regular old folks. My daughter is taking a current events course her second semester and I'm going to talk to her teacher about leaving it in his classroom. His students in that class could maybe work on local current events within the journal as an in-class assignment. I also plan to have it out at our local studio tour, drop it at our busiest hair salon for a day, the animal shelter, the courthouse, etc. etc.

What are others' ideas? I'll photograph and post the journal bag and contents once I get it together next week.

J.Ro

1 comment:

  1. I love the idea about a bag of goodies to encourage creative play. At our regional meeting, I had several folks sign up for a month. I'm hoping they will only need it for 2 weeks out of that month so I can arrange for others to have it in between or to have at events where it can be in the corner somewhere (like art show receptions, staff development, NAHS meetings, etc). Each group will return it to me and I'll take it to the next person/ group. I plan to unify it by layering between other folks work in it. I've started it with a few windows, doors, and watercolor washes. We'll see where it goes!

    ReplyDelete